Noé Hernández, from the Olympic medal in Sydney 2000 to tragedy

22 years ago, Noé Hernández reached the finish line in third place in the 20-kilometre walk at the 2000 Sydney Olympicshowever, due to the disqualification of Bernardo Segura, who came in first place, Hernández kept the silver and it was a medal that he himself felt he had not won.

“I don’t deserve the money. What I won was bronze. Bernardo Segura’s qualification is unfair and there is a persecution against the marchers from Mexico”, said Hernández after completing the test with a time of 1:19:03 hours.

In a few calmer moments, Hernández pointed out: “I dedicate this medal to my coach and my family, from whom I have been away for a year. All I want is to be with them again.”

After those Olympic Games, Noe achieved the best mark of his sports career at the 2003 World Championship in Paris, and it was with a time of 1:18:14 hours. and staying with the fourth place in the test of 20 kilometers.

In 2006 he underwent surgery for a knee injury, but the walker was unable to recover 100 percent and was out of competition for three years. In March 2009, he tried to return and participated in the Chihuahua walking circuit, an event held in March, where he won the 24th place, and after seeing that he no longer had a future in high performance, he decided to retire.

After giving up his sports career, Hernández entered politics and was in charge of sports in the municipality of Chimalhuacán, and by the Institutional Revolutionary Party.

The tragedy for Hernández came on December 30, 2012. On that day Noé received a bullet in the skull after a shooting in the bar called ‘La Reina de los Reyes’, located in the Municipality of Los Reyes La Paz, in the State of Mexico.

Hernández was transferred to the Neurotraumatology clinic in Bosques de Aragón, where he underwent various surgeries. Noah survived, but lost his left eyeball and more than 70 percent of his sight in his right.

Noah’s health condition improved over time, and he even gave a press conference to the media to let them know about his progress and he was calm, despite the fact that he only saw shadows in his right eye.

However, on January 16, 2013, at 11:44 a.m., Noé was found unconscious at his home in the Xochiaca neighborhood of Chimalhuacán. The medical part indicated that it was due to a cardiorespiratory arrest. Finally, at 12:15 p.m., the life of an Olympic medalist and the last male Mexican walker who won a medal in the Olympic Games was extinguished.

Source link

About John

Check Also

“They died in the arms of the players”: the account of the witnesses of the stampede that left 125 dead in an Indonesian stadium

Drafting BBC News World 3 October 2022 image source, Getty Images The victims of the …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.